Who the Hell is maadjurguer?

My photo
I like to ski, mountain bike, drink beer, cook and listen to any jam band I can get my hands on; all while making a complete ass of myself. Hopefully this catharsis is as interesting to others as it is to me.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Independence Day & a bad shave at the Barbershop

Despite dark and bitter forecasts of my July biking demise, I've managed to still stop and relax along the way.  While 4th of July weekend had some strong, redline/threshold rides with no desire to stop and take pictures each morning as I climbed the Arizona Trail, I managed to stop and smell the roses.

Choosing a base of operations off the Arizona Trail, in an aspen grove, surrounded by ferns; afternoon beer drinking, cheese eating and naps became the norm.  Those that went without beer, still managed to nap.


Waking from an afternoon slumber....I found myself warming in the light streaming down onto the fields of Elysium........


Choosing a good sight-line for afternoon sun is as important as choosing an old friend for when it's long gone.......


Light and colors everywhere, captivated me in between beer and cheese, crackers and summer sausage..........


Shots taken without warning were received by all who basked in the filtered glow of photons through aspen leaves.....


Impromptu shots with zero-chance of success still produced interesting results.........


As the light faded, the guardians of the bike and base became more curious.......all bark...........


........is ably backed up by all bite.................


The time and space between the 4th and the following weekend were filled with mandatory rides to maintain and condition......but the heat of summer poured down on me as fast as the sweat dripping from my brow, stinging my eyes and casting my mind to the north.  A cabin loop excurision was planned, this time with JMoneyMillionaire.


Planning on starting at General Springs and the 300, the route would take us out AZT-Fred Haught-UBar-Barbershop-Houston Brothers-Fred Haught-AZT.  At a seemingly easy 32 miles and 4400 vert gained on the day.....it seemed easy on paper....but the HAB on Barbershop had other designs......note the ridiculous up/down on miles 14 through 19.....this will never be walked with bikes again.


The day started cool but humid as we pedaled away from our vehicles, making quick work all the way to the descent down Barbershop Canyon.  Obligatory "radness" shots were taken.......



Reaching the bottom of the descent, the cliffy and dry rocky nature of the southern descent into Barbershop Canyon gave way to a lush streambed that begged for lounging........


Climbing in elevation making our way back to the rim, verdant fields replaced burns from 2-seasons past.......


HAB became the norm as we made our way across the N-S trending drainages; up then down....more walking with a useless 27lb piece of metal, composite and rubber..........


Real Estate listings are few and far between on the Mogollon, however my retirement horizons are expanding........


Descending back down Houston Brothers.....we laughed, hooted and cursed out-loud at our good fortune to be riding again....many shots were not taken because of the precious nature of momentum.....however some things demanded to be shot.......


The explosion of life and color on the rim did not disappoint.....and made up for the HAB frustration of the bad shave we received at the Barbershop.......


1 comments:

FraSiec said...

nice. Thanks for posting.

Post a Comment